Log in

June 2009   01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Fueled By Ramen- A Dramatic iPod Story

Posted on 2009.05.03 at 13:35
Current Mood: cheerfulcheerful
Current Music: Safe & Sound- Kyosuke Himuro ft. Gerard Way

Actually, there hasn't been much to blog about. I mean, this month I'm gonna see Hotspur, and there's all kinds of school drama going on. But none of that is really blog-worthy.

What I do want to tell you about is how I dropped my iPod touch in a bowl of ramen! Yesterday, I suddenly decided to eat ramen for lunch. So there I am at the table, holding my iPod in one hand and a fork in the other. Suddenly, I lost my grip on the iPod, and next thing I knew, it was sitting in the bowl. The external speaker stopped playing music, and the screen flickered a few times before I was able to fish it out and turn it off. I freaked out for two seconds, then I tore off the case and got a paper towel to dry the iPod off. After it was dry on the outside, I let it sit for about 45 minutes.

Then, like an idiot, I decided to turn it back on. Magically, it turned on without a problem. I breathed a sigh of relief, then decided to make sure it had sound. Sadly, the external speaker did not work, but headphones did. I was a little sad, but not too much. I mean, I was pretty lucky that it even worked at all.

So, I resumed using it like I always do. But then, another hour later, the backlight suddenly stopped working. That was a huge problem. THEN, to make things worse, an acrid smokey smell came from the iPod, and the metal on the back turned about 200 degrees. I basically assumed that I had killed my iPod, and I got Apple's customer service number ready, trying to think of a good lie.

Then, I found an internet tip on fixing iPods that get dropped in water. Basically, you stick them in an airtight bag of rice, and let the rice draw out the water for a few days. I figured I didn't really have anything to lose, so I stuck it in a bag of rice for the next 12 hours or so. Right before bed, I decided to see how it was doing. Turned it on, and there it was in all its original glory. The backlight was back, and so was the external speaker. But I didn't want to take any chances, so I left it in the bag overnight.

This morning, I took it out and tested everything. It's good as new, although I have a sneaking suspicion there's still some pepper and salt inside it from the ramen. Either way, it's been working great for the past 4 hours, and I am one lucky, happy camper.


Previous Entry  Next Entry